Friday, January 23, 2009

Medical Transcription Guidelines -23

Quotation Marks

1. Quotation marks are used to denote the exact words of a patient as specified by the dictator.

Dictated: The patient states quote I feel lousy unquote.

Transcribed: The patient states, "I feel lousy."

2. Physicians occasionally dictate quotation marks to set off unusual or slang terms. Quotation marks are also used to denote a word for special attention.

The patient told me that she had "firebirds" in her uterus, but I believe she meant "fibroids."

2 comments:

  1. I represent JRS Medical I have something I need to ask you about. Please contact me

    medicalironman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on that.
    Cancer Pain Management Frankfort

    ReplyDelete